20080312

Buffalo LinkStation PC-L4PWAP

Today I'm writing about the Buffalo LinkStation PC-L4PWAP. It was on clearance at Circuit City, so I thought I'd take a chance and pick it up. At the very least, I'd have a new 'receiver' on my network to play tunes through at parties.

I cracked it open when I got it home. There's a Phillips PNX-1520E processor running at 300MHz inside. A quick web search turned up that it has a TM3260 CPU core with a lot of perripherals (I2C, PCI, IDE, etc). The TM3260 is a CPU from Phillips that is a VLWI processor. I had rather hoped when I saw pnx that it had one of their MIPS cores in it. But no such luck.

I didn't bother looking at the amount of memory or the amount of flash on the board once I discovered it wasn't MIPS based. I guess I'll have to content myself with listening to the music it is spooling off a uPNP server on my network... once I get one of them setup. I'll report back on how well it works.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Warner!

Nice blog. Lots of juicy morsels of info :-)

You are the only person in the entire world who has documented the Trimedia core in the Buffalo LinkStation.

That model number (PC-L4PWAP) of the LinkStation is not even listed on the Buffalo website.

The TriMedia TM3260 core has great potential for hacking.

If you have any more info on it, please divulge!


Happy Halloween Hacking!

Cheers,
asbokid