FreeBSD/arm booting on SAM9260-EK to multiuser

Woot!  After working hard to get the SAM9260-EK rescued, I'm able to boot SAM9260-EK to multiuser.

Here's the dmesg:
Copyright (c) 1992-2012 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #13 r238762:238811M: Thu Jul 26 23:10:37 MDT 2012
    imp@dune.bsdimp.com:/dune/imp/obj/arm.arm/dune/imp/FreeBSD/sys/SAM9260EK arm
CPU: ARM926EJ-S rev 5 (ARM9EJ-S core)
  DC enabled IC enabled WB enabled LABT
  8KB/32B 4-way Instruction cache
  8KB/32B 4-way write-back-locking-C Data cache
real memory  = 67108864 (64 MB)
avail memory = 61501440 (58 MB)
at91_pmc0:  mem 0xdffffc00-0xdffffcff irq 1 on atmelarm0
at91_pmc0: Primary: 18432000 Hz PLLA: 198 MHz CPU: 198 MHz MCK: 99 MHz
at91_wdt0:  mem 0xdffffd40-0xdffffd4f irq 1 on atmelarm0
at91_wdt0: Watchdog disabled! (Boot ROM?)
at91_rst0:  mem 0xdffffd00-0xdffffd0f irq 1 on atmelarm0
at91_rst0: Reset cause: Software Request.
at91_pit0:  mem 0xdffffd30-0xdffffd39 irq 1 on atmelarm0
Timecounter "AT91SAM9 timer" frequency 6208000 Hz quality 1000
at91_pio0:  mem 0xdffff400-0xdffff5ff irq 2 on atmelarm0
at91_pio1:  mem 0xdffff600-0xdffff7ff irq 3 on atmelarm0
at91_pio2:  mem 0xdffff800-0xdffff9ff irq 4 on atmelarm0
at91_twi0:  mem 0xdffac000-0xdffaffff irq 11 on atmelarm0
iicbus0:  on at91_twi0
iic0:  on iicbus0
icee0:  at addr 0xa0 on iicbus0
at91_mci0:  mem 0xdffa8000-0xdffabfff irq 9 on atmelarm0
mmc0:  on at91_mci0
uart0:  mem 0xdffff200-0xdffff3ff irq 1 on atmelarm0
uart0: console (115200,n,8,1)
uart1:  mem 0xdffb0000-0xdffb3fff irq 6 on atmelarm0
uart2:  mem 0xdffb4000-0xdffb7fff irq 7 on atmelarm0
uart3:  mem 0xdffb8000-0xdffbbfff irq 8 on atmelarm0
uart4:  mem 0xdffd0000-0xdffd3fff irq 23 on atmelarm0
uart5:  mem 0xdffd4000-0xdffd7fff irq 24 on atmelarm0
uart6:  mem 0xdffd8000-0xdffdbfff irq 25 on atmelarm0
ate0:  mem 0xdffc4000-0xdffc7fff irq 21 on atmelarm0
miibus0:  on ate0
ukphy0:  PHY 0 on miibus0
ukphy0:  none, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
ate0: Ethernet address: 3a:1f:34:08:54:54
ohci0:  mem 0xdfc00000-0xdfcfffff irq 20 on atmelarm0
usbus0 on ohci0
Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
usbus0: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
ugen0.1:  at usbus0
uhub0:  on usbus0
uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
ugen0.2:  at usbus0
umass0:  on usbus0
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a []...
mountroot: waiting for device /dev/da0s1a ...
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
da0:  Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device 
da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
da0: 483MB (990976 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 483C)
warning: no time-of-day clock registered, system time will not be set accurately

I'll have to try the macb driver to see if it is any faster than the ate driver. No clue if it is working well or not.
I'll have to migrate over to booting off the NAND from the Dataflash I'm booting off of now. Having the SD card in the slot during early boot hangs because on this board both the SPI0 dataflash and the MMC are hard wired to the same, well, wires. This means I should get the nand and nandfs stuff working on this board as well, so I can boot off of its 256MB flash.
Plus I need to get back to refactoring. After editing board_sam9260ek.c I can see that I need to extend the AT91RM9200 device stuff I've done to the sam9260 (and sam9g20). But I'm not sure how far I want to go down that path. But we need some way to have a generic pin mux system. Linux has a fine example.
However, I think that many of the issues that I'm running into may be solved by moving to device-tree stuff. Other ARM ports support this now, and Linux is moving that way. Newer Atmel CPUs will have DTS files. All boards supported by Linux appear to be getting DTS files to replace the custom code for each board. It seems that this is a good way to go. AT91RM9200 is the only one that seems to not have dts files, so I may need to write those from scratch.
But the bottom line is that I'm excited. I'd given up hope on this board, and now it is booting. Woo hoo!


AT91SAM9260-EK restored!

Quite some time ago, I received a AT91SAM9260-EK board from Atmel.  I tried to turn it on at the time, and it looked dead.  I put it on the shelf and got busy with other things: new jobs, a divorce, a new marriage, a son, and a new house.

Recently, I became interested in the Atmel SoCs again (Atmel's open source group recently gave me some hardware to evaluate some work).  I took this board out of the closet and it seemed dead.  But one night I had the serial port connected and noticed that the ROM recovery program printed something.  I tried to download things with my old AT91RM9200 spi recovery program, but that didn't work.  I tried running Atmel's SAM-BA on FreeBSD, but it couldn't communicate with the board.  I tried using openocd with SAM-ICE.  Sadly, the board was wired for ICE, not JTAG and the instructions for doing the conversion online didn't work.  Finally, in an act of desperation I installed Ubuntu in as a Virtual Machine image.  With that, it worked.

So now, I have new shiny to play with that should already be supported by FreeBSD so I can make sure that I'm not breaking any at91sam9 support with my recent changed.