20200426

Thanks for the tips!

Quick Update

Thanks for the tips!

Warren Toomey pointed me at the Kermit in 4.3BSD: It was 4C(057). But it was a trimmed copy of C-Kermit: just the unix files were there. I don't know how I missed it. This version was copied far and wide, but I didn't have any 4.3BSD trees extracted.

Warren Toomey also pointed me to the net.sources group. I'd looked in the comp.sources.* groups, but found nothing. Turns out C-Kermit was posted to net.sources (twice). There was a warning not to post it, that came too late, not to post it. There was much pent up demand for C-Kermit 4, it seems. Both 4.0(025) and 4.2(030) were posted. I've not looked closely, but there's some minor differences between the two, maybe due to more glitches in the 4.0 conversion on the DECUS tape I found. I'll have to see if any of the other differences matter.  I've not looked at the 4.2 to see if it matches or not.

I got another copy of an early 4F version, but it may be the OS/2 version. I need to study it some more. It says it was 4F(088). I'll look into it more when I have time.

Another friend suggested a search that lead me to another site that has DECUS tapes online. So far I've found 4C(053) and 4C(058). The latter is awesome, if complete, because the only 058 releases I've been able to find are for the Amiga, with all other files stripped. There's files for 'i', 'm', 'u' and 'v' there, which I think are Amiga, Macintosh, Unix and VMS respectively. I haven't tried to build it, so I don't know if there's issues with conversion or not. And 053 is awesome too because it lets me look at the DECUS version to see what DEC added, and what later made it into C-Kermit.  I feel kinda bad about finding these, since I wrote a script to pull files down and it kinda ran amuck before I noticed and could fix it. Still, a pure 053 gets me one step closer to recreating 4C(052) for the BSW Venix binary.

I also found a few more 5A versions, but I'm unsure what I'll do with those... There's a lot of them out there, and many are hacked for this version or that of Unix or whatever.

So if you have any version not listed here, please let me know.

No comments: